Back At It

So, it's been a while since you've last heard from me. Winter break was enjoyable, although Pennsylvania was way too cold for my liking. I made it back in time to ring in the new year here in New Orleans and man was that a treat. This city was crazy, I can't even imagine what Mardi Gras will be like.

It was kind of hard getting back into the swing of things as far as school goes. This semester is pretty intense for most of us. The coursework doesn't seem as heavy but with all the electives the amount of time spent in the classroom can be daunting. Most people, including myself, are not only studying for classes but also studying for the big NBME Shelf exam at the end of March and the MCAT. On top of all of that I decided I wasn't nearly stressed enough so I am also in the process of studying to get my Personal Training Certification so I can hopefully do that part-time during the summer and my gap year. Fitness is one of my passions in life and being able to help other people achieve their fitness goals, better their health and just feel better about themselves is gonna be great.

Our first block back was on Endocrine and Reproductive pharmacology. The exams went pretty well for everyone. Now we are moving on to one of my favorite subjects: Neuropharmacology. We start with more neurobiological diseases and then move into the psychological diseases. Neuroscience was the focus of my undergraduate and I'm pretty excited to be learning about it again.

I did get a great opportunity for volunteering this month. I got to volunteer with Second Harvest to help work the 50/50 raffle at the Saint's playoff game against the Eagles. It was a lot of fun. I just walked around the superdome selling raffle tickets and in the end half of the money went to the winner and the other half to the United Negro College Fund. The raffle went over $160,000 and so the UNCF got about $80,000 and I thought that was awesome. I even got to watch some of the game during my time volunteering.

January Volunteer Hours: 8
Total Volunteer Hours: 8

Comments

Popular Posts