Hey Y'all

          So this first month has absolutely flown by. Between moving from halfway across the country, meeting new people, adjusting to a new schedule, and learning new information, it has been a roller coaster. I finally feel settled in now and I feel really good about this program and the upcoming year.
          We just had our first exam last week and it went really well and we have another one coming up in a few days but I'm not worried about it because I've made some really great friends that also make great study partners. Not gonna lie, each of these blocks cover a lot of material and sometimes it can seem pretty stressful but the professors and your peers really want you to succeed and it makes it all easier to handle.
          Throughout this year I plan on focusing my volunteer hours with KIPP. The Knowledge is Power Program organizes college preparatory schools in under-resourced communities, and volunteering with them gives you the opportunity to assist the teachers and eventually mentor students. Growing up I witnessed the difficulties of trying to obtain a quality education and I believe every child should have the best possible chance at doing so. Unfortunately due to the huge adjustments this month I have not been able to start my volunteering with KIPP, but I look forward to doing so in the next couple of weeks.
          I did however still want to put some time into the community this month and so I volunteered to help set-up for the American Cancer Society's annual Belles and Beaus Ball. It was really cool to see everything that goes into setting up such a big event and I look forward to hearing about all the money they raise for the organization.
My classmates and I setting up for the ball





















September community service hours: 3.5 Hours
Total community service hours: 3.5 Hours

Comments

Popular Posts