The Home Stretch

          November has been quite the month. It started off with the Cardiovascular block exam, which was tough but I think overall people did pretty well. Then we had a short pulmonary block after that, with the exam right before thanksgiving break. Now that break is over we are headed into our final block of the semester and I'm sure I'm not the only one excited about that haha.
          As far as volunteering goes I only managed to get in a few hours but managed to do so through a couple different opportunities. I spent some more time at KIPP this month helping to organize and store the massive amount of books they've received for the students. Then on Thanksgiving I was fortunate enough to help out at the New Orleans Parrish Sheriff's Annual Dinner. The dinner is held for anyone in New Orleans that wants to show up: the homeless, the elderly, the bored. They had an unexpectedly large amount of volunteers which meant at times there wasn't very much to do but that's really a good thing isn't it? It was the first time since being here that I really saw what people meant when they talked about the community here in New Orleans and how everyone is just trying to help the city recover and grow. The volunteers consisted of entire families, students, elderly, pretty much anyone you could imagine and it was heartwarming to say the least.
          I didn't get to explore the city very much this month but I did have ample opportunity to express my newfound Roll Wave pride! There was a grad student tailgate earlier in the month that had free food and drinks and was so much fun. I also attended the Tulane v. Navy game this past weekend and that was a lot of fun, and a very close game. I was never much football until moving to New Orleans, between the Saints, LSU and Tulane ya kinda have to be into it haha. Time to finish this semester off strong and I'll check back in a couple weeks!

Volunteer hours this month: 10
Total volunteer hours: 19

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts